Wednesday, December 01, 2004

The Old Death's Head

There is a man who comes into the library that we all dread. He causes problems for each and every one of us. Although, he hates women, so the men have it a little easier. He is vaguely Hispanic so he likes to pull the race card on us occasionally. And he is verbally abusive and aggressive. I feel like we don't get paid enough to deal with jerks like this guy but it's practically all in a day's work. He is an older gentleman and I like to call him the "Old Death's Head." Because he looks like a grinning Death's head.

This man wants special treatment all the time. He wants handwritten receipts and other little perks that we just don't offer. And when he doesn't get them, he throws a little temper tantrum. He has called me stupid and other unsavory epithets. And he loves to argue with you so that you are driven into a rage and have to storm off. He made me so angry one day that I handed him off to my boss and told him he could complain about me. My boss backed me up. There are notes about this man and his exploits from all over the library system. We finally got him thrown out after months of abuse but because our system doesn't value its employees and doesn't care about protecting them, they allowed him to come back after a few months. And now, we are dealing with him again.

When I see the Old Death's Head coming in nowadays, I pass him off to one of my co-workers. I figure I've put in my time with this jerk. He's now becoming a right of passage for new library workers. We like to haze the new guys by letting them deal with the Old Death's Head. It's interesting how someone so awful can become a library hazing tradition.

No comments: