Tuesday, November 30, 2004

The Truth about Frog and Toad

Sometimes, customers really amaze me. And not in a good way.

A few years ago, a man came up to me in the Children's section and asked me to recommend a good classic children's book for a young boy just learning to read. I enthusiastically suggested the "Frog and Toad" series. For those of you not familiar with this series, it is about two buddies named Frog and Toad who have adventures together. They are written by Arnold Lobel. I remembered reading them as a child and thought a young boy would enjoy them.

The father took one look at them and shoved them back at me saying, "Uh uh. Pick something else." He seemed so opposed to Frog and Toad that I said, "May I ask why?"

His response: "Because....Frog and Toad are gay."

WHAT?!! Let me get this straight. (no pun intended) This crazy guy is OUTING FROG AND TOAD?!

I shudder to think about his stance on Bert and Ernie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love "Frog and Toad" and still have a few of their books around the house. I think beleiving they are gay makes them even more adorable! Gay amphibians - it's good stuff, especially the hot inter-species love action going on there.

Yellow Dog