Monday, November 29, 2004

Library Patrons Say the Darndest Things

These anecdotes come to us from another library branch in our system...

1. A Little Old Lady (is it more PC to say an elderly patron?) approached the desk - she apologized profusely for not having rewound the movies before returning them, but she just couldn't figure out how to do it......they were DVDs.

2.
There's a customer who comes in, pretty much every week, and checks out 7 DVDs and 20 VHS....y'know, movies to get through the week. Not sure he's ever checked out a book. He came in the other day and up to the counter with his weekly movie collection for checkout. Right next to him at the counter came a woman, known to be a book reader, but she's got a stack of movies on this day. She steps up and says "Oh, this is so embarrassing, all I'm checking out is movies, not even one book - how embarassing, I can't believe someone would come to the library and get only movies!". "Movie Guy", right next to her, just gathered up his items, gave her a brief sidelong look, and departed!

3. Then there's the guy who came dashing in at 5:00pm - apologizing for coming in so close to closing time. I told him we close at 5:30, so no problem. He then jovially declared "OK, so I'm pretty much just an idiot....here are my books on Time Management, which I clearly didn't read, since they are a few weeks late now. Sorry, I'm an idiot, and what do I owe you?"

No comments: