Monday, November 22, 2004

Library Worker Pet Peeves

First of all, please note that under each post there is a comment engine. Feel free to make comments. We want to know you're reading us...

So, on to our favorite pet peeves...


1. I personally hate giving out plastic bags. I don't mind giving them to elderly people or handing them out in bad weather, but the rest of the time I hate it. It just really makes me crazy because handing out loads of plastic bags reminds me of how greedy people at the library can be.

2. Which bring me to pet peeve #2: People who check out LOADS of DVDs and videos. Seriously, how many movies can you watch in a week? I always have visions of these people doing nothing but sitting on their fat bottoms all the time watching t.v. To me, it speaks to the worst part of American culture. And by checking out so many videos and DVDs at one time, people always whine about getting bags. Maybe you shouldn't check out so much. Then you wouldn't need a bag!

3. Why is it that when there are four circulation computers and three staff members at the desk, customers ALWAYS go and stand at the one computer NOT occupied by a staff member? That drives me crazy! Why wouldn't you wait at a computer that actually has a staff member at it?! Do they simply believe that a magical clerk will appear at the empty computer? It makes no sense!

4. Don't use the excuse "Well, my taxes pay for this library!" Chances are you pay no more than $25/month to use the library. Probably a lot less. That gets you about two paperbacks from Barnes and Noble or 8 video/DVD rentals from Blockbuster. Most people get way more than that for free at the library. And then they whine about a 20 cent fine. Quit whining! Your tax money doesn't begin to cover the benefits you get from the library!

5. Don't constantly call to see what you have on hold. You ordered it. Don't you know what you have on hold? Also, you can do all that stuff online. You don't need to call us for that.

6. Yes, I have to have your library card or a photo ID. I can't just look you up by name. I don't know you. And, after all, you can't just go to the grocery store without your wallet and say, "You know who I am. Just put it on my account."

7. It's pronounced "library" not "liberry."



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend who works at a library in central Colorado, perhaps a large city, perhaps next to a major road with the other work for pork in it... anywho, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who deals with weird people at my job.

BTW, why ARE there plastic bags at the library? I always use my handmade library bag.