Monday, January 10, 2005

Your Information Clearinghouse

Since when did it become a prerequisite for a library job that you have to know EVERYTHING?!!

Five minutes ago, a gentleman with overdue books (!) came in to pick up some new holds. After I helped him, he asked me where to find information on bus schedules. I told him I thought that there was probably a website with that information but I wasn't sure what the web address was.

The man immediately got angry and started yelling at me about how at the OTHER library branch the person behind the desk knew the answer to his question and he couldn't understand why I didn't. "You'd think you could come to the library and people would be able to answer your questions! After all, you're standing behind the desk!!!"

Since when do I have to know the answer to every idiot question just because I stand behind a desk?!!

I really wanted to go off on the guy but I managed to control my temper. After all, if he rides the stupid bus all the time, why doesn't HE know where to find the bus schedules!!!

Some days, it's hard to find the humor in this job. People get so irate over the most inconsequential things. And they direct all their anger at you. And it gets really old. I think on my last day at the library, I'm finally going to tell all these bastards exactly what I think of them.

2 comments:

Amy M. said...

Hi Trixie! Thanks for dropping in. As always, may our pain be your pleasure. If you have any personal stories of work drudgery, feel free to share them. I promise...it's cathartic.

Anonymous said...

I had a man who wanted a taxi and I told him that he could use the guest phone to call one, just that he had to dial "9" before the phone number. No, he wanted ME to dial the number to request a taxi for HIM. He said that somebody outside told him that (my place of work) does that for people. I'm a retail peon, not your secretary.