Monday, January 10, 2005

The Russian Gambler

Well, Dewey Diaries is back from the holidays with more exciting stories from the front.

There is a man who used to come in around closing every night. He was Russian and he was always looking up websites on gambling. And he was a real jerk. He would always refuse to leave when we closed and was always causing problems. One night, as we were trying to lock up, he came up to the circulation desk to pick up his printouts. It is our policy that people can print documents from the internet at a cost of ten cents a page. Well, this jerk comes up and has printed about fifty pages and he only has about 25 cents. He starts arguing with me that I should just GIVE him the printouts for free. I told him I would hold the pages for him if he wanted to come back the following day to pick them up but that he couldn't have them for free. Of course, these were pages about gambling that he needed that night so that didn't make him happy. He threw a fit and stormed out of the library. On his way out, he stopped and said to my co-worker G., "Your sister is crazy!"

G. responded, "Oh, she's not my sister."

Note: G. did not say that I wasn't crazy. He just said I wasn't his sister. Thanks, buddy.

The Russian Gambler disappeared for awhile after that. But recently, he has been seen in the library. Maybe we'll experience more magic together. In the meantime, I would suggest that he learn not only "when to hold 'em" but also "when to walk away."

No comments: