Monday, February 14, 2005

Mea Culpa

So, I know it seems that we were picking on a sweet little old lady in our last entry. The only reason I included the anecdote was because this woman had a history of crazy questions and librarian abuse. Obviously, we always try to offer the best customer service possible. We have been known to drive to other branches on our lunch hours to pick up books for customers. We have loaded up bags of books and carried them out for our elderly customers. We have made long-distance calls on our own dimes to find something for a customer. I myself have gone over to an assisted living establishment to make library cards and hand out information on my own time. Because we are in a small branch, we often develop personal relationships with our customers. However, we also see examples of the very worst in people. Woman in fur coats ranting about having to pay a twenty cent fine. People complaining about not getting their DVDs fast enough. Mothers bragging about how their kids can watch TWENTY videos in one week. (they actually think this is something to be proud of) I bear no ill will towards Crazy Lady. It just amazes me sometimes with the stuff she comes up with. If it had been anyone else, we probably would have found the episode cute and endearing. I promise, gentle readers, there is no elder abuse going on here. Most of our patrons we really truly like. But they just don't make for good Dewey Diaries material. And we have to keep our readers entertained.

No comments: