Monday, February 28, 2005

Don't Engage

Sorry we haven't written lately but we only want to bring you the choicest library anecdotes.

I have lost my ability to maintain a disinterested distance from my customers. I know I shouldn't comment or argue but I just can't stop myself.

Case in point...

This morning, a woman brought in two lost computer books. She had been sent to Collections and charged a lost fee and processing fee for each item. Because she returned them, we removed the lost fees and processing fees which left her with a $10 late fee on each item. The woman threw a fit and said it was ridiculous that she should have to pay $20 for the two computer books since she could go out and buy them for that much.

At this point, I should have just shut up and taken the money. But, of course, I didn't.

I just couldn't stop myself. This woman actually thought she could buy two computer books for $20. On what planet?!! So, I took it upon myself to school her a bit on the reality of the book world.

I picked up the books and showed her the purchase price....$60 for one and $40 for another. I said, "Considering how much computer books cost retail, you couldn't buy these two for $20."

"I could if I got them at Costco."

"Really. You think you could find these same EXACT two titles at Costco for less. Huh."

"$20 in fines for two books is highway robbery."

"Um, okay."

The thing is, I should just let these things go and not engage with the customers. My co-worker G. is great at that because he just doesn't care. But I still feel the need to correct people in their ignorance. I think my days at the library may be numbered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, if feeling squirrley enough at that moment, may have let her know that if the computer books only cost a mere $20 then I would have no regrets smashing them upon her fat head, but that because of my insider knowledge of such library workings I understood perfectly that such an adventure would cost me, in fact, $100+. I would then quitely remind her that while such an extreme act of violence is quite seductive in such unfashionable circumstances, ultimately she would not be worth the extra charge & any more of my exhaled breath.