Thursday, April 07, 2005

The Unaccountable

One of the things that makes me angriest about working at the library is the fact that most patrons do not want to take responsibility for themselves. They all come in with this sense of entitlement like the library owes them something. They don't seem to understand that using the library is a PRIVILEGE and not a RIGHT.

Case in point...

I was having a pretty good workday yesterday until about the last fifteen minutes. This woman comes in with a collections letter. Evidently, her daughter told her she had nothing checked out. In reality, she had thirteen books hidden in her room that were due in December. So, the mom gets this collections notice and finds nine of the books in the child's room. After checking those nine books back in, the fines went down to about $190.oo. I explained to the woman that if she found the last four, her fines would go down to $150.00. (basically, a maximum fine of $10 for each book and a $20 fine from the collections agency) Well, the woman throws a fit and refuses to pay saying that it is all the LIBRARY'S fault. She says the library has a responsibility to tell people if they have overdue items.

I know $150 seems harsh. However, we already have a 39 day grace period for children's items. And we DO give an automated phone call if an item is 10 days overdue. And send a letter after that. But we did not have the woman's correct info since she had moved.

The library is a great deal. You can check out all the DVDs, CDs, videos, books and magazines that you want for FREE! All you have to do is return them on time. It's not that hard. And yet, people like this woman continue to try to shift accountability for their actions onto the library. Amazing.

7 comments:

SquirrleyMojo said...

yep. i feel entitled to library services--call me mad.

and i'd be outraged at the entire circumstances, my own fault in the matter too, as a patron as well.

sounds like *someone* might be getting a little too coushie in the job? why be so unsympathetic? why be mean?

Amy M. said...

I don't think it's really an issue of being mean. When I used to be a library user, I would often be shocked at the fines I racked up. But I was always frustrated with MYSELF for accumulating them. And I always paid them.

Yes, the woman had a very large amount of fines. And I know that sucks. But all one has to do to avoid all of that is to return items on time. While you have overdue items in your home, no one else can use them. And that encroaches on other people's "rights" to library services. When you get a library card, you agree to the policies. Most of my customers come in and pay their fines when they are owed. Just like I used to do. To argue over something that is your own fault seems ridiculous to me.

There have been cases where people have been sick, had a death in the family or missed getting their items in because of bad weather. I have seen these people come in and offer to pay their fines. (which I ALWAYS cancel in these cases) Just being irresponsible with your library materials does not merit yelling at a library worker. I don't know very many other services where you can get away with that. Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

so, you admit to having the "power" to cancel finds at will? at your own discretion?

if the woman would have lied, came up with a better story, acted more "polite" in this whacky social system we've created, you may have decided to cancel her fines?

but she didn't play the game. she got loud. stepped out of bounds. she showed her frustration. she expressed her anger at this incredible system of "rules" and regulations that *feel* righteous and fair, but will penalize her $150.00 dollars of her own earned money, not to mention her credit report.

why would a library, an institution of social services, operate in such manner? i am confused . . .

SQ

Anonymous said...

I've paid a lot out in library fine (when younger) and deserved every one. I agree with what you've said, people need to be responsible and that includes being responsible for their children! What if I had wanted one of those books, stashed away in the room? If they want to hoard books, BUY them, not borrow!!!
blue2go

Genevieve said...

I think it's a little strange that people would argue about fines like that. Do you argue with Blockbuster if you don't return your movie on time (I have no idea how this new no-fines thing works... I have netflix) I just paid $16.80 in library fines, and yeah, it sucked, but I didn't return stuff on time and I forgot to renew. The library usually sends a reminder email to renew, but they didn't this time. still, my fault, not theirs.

Amy M. said...

I really didn't mean to create such a controversy.

Here's the deal. The library sends out a phone call and two letters before sending someone to collections. When you keep items out past the due date, you are preventing other library patrons from using those items. The library belongs to everyone. When you get a card, you agree to the terms. And, as I said before, all you have to do is turn items in ON TIME and then you get everything FOR FREE! You don't have to spend your "hard-earned money."

In the case of this woman, once the account went to collections, I NO LONGER HAD ANY POWER TO CANCEL FINES. Because she had waited SO LONG, I was no longer able to work with her on fines. Which I always try to do.

I don't know what else to say. I'm not trying to be a hard ass. But I get tired of people abusing the system.

Anonymous said...

I like to think of my fines as a charitable donation to the library.