Wednesday, July 27, 2005

5 Cent Lady

So, this woman comes in and turns in a book SO LATE that her fines come to $8.00. Immediately, she starts blaming the library for HER lateness. But she adds a new twist...

Lady: Well, I'm not paying that much. The library has only ever charge me 5 cents a day before. I was just here last month and only paid a 5 cent per day fine.

Clerk: Well, that surprises me because our fines have never been five cents a day. In fact, they are currently 25 cents per day per item.

Lady: Well, I've only ever paid five cents a day and I'm not paying more than that.

At this point, she pulls our her receipt from the month before which shows that she paid a 75 cent fine for being three days late. I point out to her that that equals 25 cents a day.

Lady: Well, I think it was much later than that. And I'm only going to ever pay five cents a day or I'm not going to use the library again.

This is one of my favorite arguments from patrons. They think they can treat us like a retail establishment. Threatening me with losing your business really isn't going to get you anywhere. Let's see....we make zero dollars off you a year and you are threatening to take away your business which would be a loss of zero dollars...hmmmm....

Clerk: So you are saying that although everyone else pays 25 cents a day for being late that you should only be charged 5 cents a day.

Lady: That's right.

Clerk: Well, when you sign up for a library card you agree to the terms. And as long as you turn items in on time, the service is absolutely free. This book was 32 days late. The fine will be $8.00.

Lady: Well, I'm never using the library again.

Clerk: Okay then. Enjoy Barnes and Noble and Blockbuster! (just kidding...I didn't really say that)

5 comments:

SquirrleyMojo said...

It should only be 5 cents. As you state, your establishment is a public service.

Anonymous said...

If library fines were only five cents, then employees wouldn't make any wages and no new books etc would ever be purchased. A library system is pretty much a non-profit organization. The fines are in place so employees get paid and new items get purchased.

Genevieve said...

you totally should've said the barnes & noble line!

I don't think a 25 cent a day fine is unreasonable. (and you're talking to the girl who now owes her public library $25 because a bunch of books came due while I was on vacation)

Amy M. said...

Well, the point is that library fines have NEVER been five cents. I agree with you, Squirrley, that 25 cents seems excessive. However, the fines were raised due to budget cuts. The library system already has to close additional days and has laid off staff. The raise in fines was an attempt to prevent more cuts. And, as always, you don't have to pay fines if you just TURN THINGS IN ON TIME!!!

Also, my main point is that this woman felt *entitled* to pay only 5 cents while EVERYONE ELSE has to pay 25 cents. What makes her so special?

Anonymous said...

No, most retail peons don't care if someone says, "I'm never shopping here again!" Great! I don't have to deal with you again!
The funny story to this is that a man roared this to the service desk and the next morning we saw him calmly come in, get a cart, and go shopping.
People.